how to stay
Families who stay with us:
• Live a minimum distance of 65 km away from Ronald McDonald House Toronto (RMH Toronto).
• Have a referral from a hospital social worker.
• Are parents/legal guardians of a child 18 years of age or younger, receiving medical treatment for a life-threatening or serious illness at The Hospital for Sick Children (SickKids) or another local area hospital.
• Siblings and other family members may accompany the parents of the ill child.
• We offer one bedroom per family.
• Anyone suffering from, or who has recently been exposed to, a communicable illness cannot be admitted (including family members with a cold or the flu). We stand by this policy to minimize the risk to children with weakened immune systems.
Sometimes children and families will be referred to Toronto hospitals for specialized procedures or treatment of illnesses which are not life-threatening. Regrettably, because the demand for rooms is so high, we are unable to accommodate requests from families whose children arereceiving treatment for the following:
• Cleft palette surgery
• Club foot surgery
• Cochlear (ear) implants
• ENT (Ear/Nose/Throat)
• Mobius Syndrome
• Strabismus (crossed eyes) surgery
What to expect when you arrive:
Ronald McDonald House Toronto seeks to provide a "home away from home” where your family can stay and heal better together. Upon arrival, you will be welcomed by a staff member who will guide and support you through your transition. Our family bedrooms are similar to a hotel room in design and are equipped with a queen size bed, a single bed and a trundle as well as a full ensuite bathroom.
Each room has a fridge, storage and linens to ensure your stay is comfortable. Common spaces include a family lounge, communal kitchen and recreation space.
To learn more about the programs and services available to you, click here.
Our room rate is $15 per night, per family. A family is defined as two adults and their children. Payment is made weekly, unless written authorization has been received to bill another party for your stay.
Rooms cannot be booked in advance. If rooms are unavailable at the time of your referral you will be placed on a wait list and asked to continue calling daily to identify when a room becomes available.
STEP 1: Call us at (416) 977-0458 to ensure you qualify to stay with us.
STEP 2: Contact the hospital to ensure that a referral is made on your behalf.
STEP 3: Make alternate arrangements. We cannot guarantee that a room will be available upon your arrival to Toronto. If calling one of the following area hotels, explain that you are travelling to pursue hospital care and inquire if they have a discounted hospital rate.
• Courtyard Marriott: 475 Yonge Street, (416) 924-0611
• Delta Chelsea: 33 Gerrard Street West, (416) 595-1975
STEP 4: Call us at (416) 977-0458 the day before you arrive to begin checking for room availability.
STEP 5: Continue calling daily at (416) 977-0458 to check on room availability.
Because someone on our wait list may return home or settle elsewhere without notifying us, it is essential that you continue to call daily in order to remain on our wait list.
When a child is returning for continuing medical care for the same condition, a referral needs to be made through the hospital social worker.